Coconut Oil and it's MANY uses The use of coconut oil has become a popular trend in the health food and medical industry over the last few years. Derived, as you would imagine, from mature coconuts, this so-called “miracle cure-all” is high in saturated fat but does not contain cholesterol. Reported health benefits from consuming coconut oil are widespread: from curing heart disease to increasing energy to promoting weight loss. However, the health benefits of coconut oil extend far beyond ingestion. Here are 20 ideas for using coconut oil outside your body that can benefit your health and well-being too!
Twenty Uses for Coconut Oil1. Deep condition your hair – apply liberally and leave on as long as overnight for maximum benefits, shampoo twice to remove excess oil, also helps treat and prevent dandruff by moisturizing the scalp
2. Use as shave cream – use in place of traditional shave creams that are full of chemicals, works great and leaves skin soft and smooth, also perfect as an after-shave treatment
3. Use as a body and facial moisturizer – apply to dry skin as an all-natural moisturizer
4. Remove eye make-up – breaks down make-up residue without chemicals and leaves skin refreshed
5. First aid for minor scrapes, cuts, or burns – studies suggest it may promote faster healing and it’s antibacterial properties prevent infection
6. Prevent/treat scars and stretch marks – use coconut oil to promote healing and prevent scarring/stretch marks, the antioxidant properties of coconut oil can also be used to reduce the appearance of existing scars and stretch marks
7. Treat athlete’s foot, yeast infections, or ringworm – coconut oil’s antifungal properties make it a great alternative treatment for these infections
8. Replace traditional lip balm – use regularly to keep lips hydrated and prevent chapping
9. Treat cradle cap – gently apply with a soft brush to loosen flakes and moisturize dray scalps
10. Reduce the appearance of age spots or skin discolorations – coconut oil also contains antioxidants that over time, can diminish skin blemishes
11. Use as a natural deodorant – either in combination with other ingredient or by itself, take advantage of coconut oil’s antibacterial benefits as well as its pleasant smell
12. Soothe sunburn – applied at least 24 hours after a sunburn appears, coconut oil can speed healing and reduce discomfort
13. Treat canker sores and cold sores – treat infections and speed up healing by applying coconut oil as needed
14. Relieve sore, cracked nipples – apply before or after nursing to promote healing and soothe dry skin
15. Treat and prevent acne – coconut oil has antibacterial properties that can gently fight the bacteria that causes acne and prevent it from recurring
16. Alleviate itches – apply to insect bites, poison ivy, or even chicken pox to speed up healing and ease the itch
17. Replace your diaper rash cream – promote healing of mild diaper rash with coconut oil’s antimicrobial and antifungal properties
18. Soothe and treat psoriasis or eczema – reduce the itch and stimulate healing
19. Oil pulling – promote gum health, prevent gingivitis, and fight bad breath by swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil for about 20 minutes before brushing teeth
20. Use as an all-natural massage oil – smells great and moisturizes skin
These are only a few of the many, many uses for coconut oil. How do you use coconut oil around your house?
To shop for coconut oil please visit Diaper Junction.