Our quick tricks make it easy to change a baby's diaper.
Posted by Bryana on 1/7/2007
to Getting Started
Organize your diaper changing table
- Keep clean diapers and wipes within reach, along with spray or diaper cream.
- Store diapers in a drawer, on a shelf, or in a basket. A basket is a nice place to keep cloth diapers.
- With a basket you don’t need to fold prefolds or fitted diapers since most cloth diaper folding can be done in a few seconds during changes. Plus, you can easily pick up the basket and move diaper changing duty anywhere in the house.
- Protect the changing table with an absorbent or waterproof pad.
- Make the area interesting for your toddler. If you have a mobile, look at it from below. What does your baby see?
- Put the a flip-top diaper pail within arm’s reach so you can toss the wet diaper away without letting go of your baby.
Change a baby’s diaper whenever wet
- Frequent diaper changes keep your baby’s skin dry and healthy. This might mean 12 times a day for a newborn, while a toddler may only need 4-5 diaper changes every day.
- Notice your baby’s signals. You may find that you can anticipate wet or soiled diapers by their facial expressions and body language.
- Once your baby begins to communicate more, ask whether it is time to change the baby’s diaper. Giving the baby a voice in this process is an early step toward potty training toddlers.
Develop a routine for baby
Especially if your baby resists diaper changing, make changing your baby’s diaper a special time.
Ease you baby into the process. Start to sing a special song before you pick them up.
Continue to sing while you change the diaper, laughing and playing. Baby may be completely distracted from the diaper changing process.
Choose a song with endless verses so you can make it longer or shorter.
End the song every time with a big kiss and a snuggle, after the diaper is on and clothes are straightened. Baby will look forward to this time.
Keep easy diapers for care givers
Is the baby sitter (or Daddy) watching baby tonight? Provide a Fuzzi Bunz pocket diaper for easy diaper changes without the possibility of mistakes. Not everyone realizes that you need to use a waterproof cover over the absorbent diaper.
Prefold cloth diaper folding: