It can seem like you don't need all that much but when you actually get the lists, if you have more than one kid, the cost and aggravation can really add up.
School Supplies, Ugg!A look at our Back to School Supply List (for three kids combined)
- (3) Backpacks, but thankfully my sons are still in great shape from last year and they're too young to put up a fuss over having to reuse them.
- (3) scissors
- (3) pencil boxes
- (22) glue sticks! Apparently they use a lot of glue...
- (96) pre-sharpended pencils. <--This has turned out to be one of the biggest pains to find. They want to charge you five times as much for sharpened pencils than un-sharpened ones and NONE of the small manual sharpeners you buy actually work! *Can someone please invent a pencil sharpener that works?
- (1500) sheets of paper! Again, WHY so many sheets? Sold in packs of 150, this seems like an in-humane amount of paper to require of a 5th grader.
- Markers, Colored Pencils, Crayons, Tissues, Plastic Bags, Hand Sanitizer, Baby Wipes, Paper Plates, Forks and on and on. Multiply it all by three and trust me, you start to feel a little overwhelmed.
I truly love and appreciate our teachers. Without school supply lists I know the teachers end up having to purchase even more out of pocket and that many of these supplies are used to help stock their classroom, so I don't complain.
I'm happy to help but each year I realize how HARD it is to do all of this the week before school starts and I vow to never wait this long again...it never works.
Do you have an insane amount of school supplies to buy? Do you buy each and every one, taking the list quite literally or do you buy the necessities as you see fit? Please share!