I love saving money by making things myself. If I can find a recipe or a DIY for something I normally have to buy, then I'm all over it. If I can't find instructions, I'll figure out how to do it myself.
When we first started using cloth wipes, I bought some wipe solution drops that we were dissolved in warm water. They worked well enough, but I didn't like that I had to keep going back and buying them. So, I decided to look for a DIY. I found a couple, and from all the recipes I discovered, I came up with my own recipe. I chose the ingredients in this recipe because most of them were things I already had around the house. I bought the tea tree oil on Amazon, and also found that Hobby Lobby carries it as well as a nice selection of other essential oils.
For this recipe you will need:
- First, you should fill up your bottle with warm water. If you put your other ingredients in first and then add the water, you'll end up with so many bubbles that you won't be able to fill the container completely—at least not in a timely fashion.
- Add a squirt of baby wash. Honestly, any type of soap, such as castile soap or even hand soap will work as well. You just need a little bit.
- Add roughly ten drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil can be exchanged for another anti-fungal essential oil such as lavender or cinnamon.
- Add a teaspoon or two of olive oil. I just dump in one good "glug." This oil can be exchanged for some melted coconut oil or almond oil. However, I wouldn't use vegetable or canola oil. The oil acts as a moisturizer so you need to use an oil that will moisturize well.
- Shake it all up together in your bottle, and squirt it into your wipes container until they're all saturated but not dripping. You don't want standing water in your wipes container. If you store your wipes dry, you can put the solution into a spray bottle and just squirt the wipes as you use them. We did that for awhile, but then decided that it made for a quicker diaper change to have wipes that were already wet.
The best thing about this wipes solution is that your wipes can sit wet for a long time without ever getting mold or mildew because the tea tree oil keeps them nice and fresh, while also ridding your baby's bum of any germs.
So you buy a wipe solution or make your own? What kinds of things do you add to your recipe to make it awesome?