We field many questions regarding cloth diapers, but there is one topic that comes up more than any other--diaper care and washing instructions. We always recommend our customers wash their diapers every other day, regardless of how many diapers they own. Here are 5 reasons why you should wash your diapers every other day:
- Perfect load size. Washing diapers every other day provides an ideal load size of 12-18 diapers. Physical agitation is an important part of laundry washing as it helps release soil from fibers. Over-crowding your washer can inhibit agitation, thus leaving soil behind on your diapers.
- Prevent ammonia. The kidneys convert ammonia to urea. Once urine exits the body, bacteria will convert the urea back to ammonia1, giving it that strong, distinguished smell. Washing frequently prevents this chemical process and limits ammonia in your diapers.
- Protect your diapers. Human poop is normally alkaline.2 Urine can vary between acidic and alkaline3, depending on diet, but it will become more alkaline as the urea converts to ammonia4. Alkalines are caustic, meaning they can cause corrosion. Frequent washing prevents the premature wear of diaper fibers.
- Prevent stink. We always say, “a diaper that sits is a diaper that stinks.” Diaper funk sets in as a diaper sits waiting to be washed. The longer it sits, the harder it is to get the stink out of the diaper and the more likely the stink will begin to linger near the diaper pail and the surrounding environment.
- Prevent mold and mildew. Mold and mildew thrive in moist environments. The sooner we wash, the less likely it will be for mold and mildew to form.
Washing your diapers every other day can prevent headaches and protect your investment. Please feel free to contact us should you ever have any concerns with your diapers.